By using our site without disabling cookies, you consent to our use of them.
We love the simple things; making great wine and wood-fired pizzas.
What started out as one couple’s dream to grow and sell grapes has turned into an inter-generational family business. Four Winds Vineyard now grows grapes, makes wine and has a cellar door on site, so that you can come and sit amongst the vines and enjoy our wines with our delicious wood-fired pizzas.
In 2019 the business expanded to include a new vineyard and winery; Kyeema Estate. This is one of the area’s most established and distinguished vineyards and is within an easy, 20 minute tractor drive of Four Winds Vineyard.
Kyeema Estate gives Four Winds Vineyard access to some new varieties such as Tempranillo, Chardonnay and Viognier but it also provides us with some exceptional quality fruit such as an old Penfolds clone of Shiraz and a reserve Merlot.
A quick Four Winds Vineyard timeline
- 1998 We planted the vineyard and started to sell grapes under contract to BRL Hardy – making a small amount of wine under the Four Winds Vineyard label.
- 2006 BRL Hardy moved out of the Canberra District and we increases the volumes of wine under the Four Winds Vineyard label
- 2010 John and Sarah joined the Four Winds Vineyard team
- 2011 Received a federal government grant of $110,000 to build a cellar door
- 2013 Cellar door completed
- 2014 Ran a successful crowd funding campaign raising $23,000 to extend the winery
- 2015 With a bumper crop in 2015 we teamed up with two neighbours and turned 4-tonnes of our spare Shiraz grapes into wine and raised over $40,000 for refugees living in Canberra
- 2016 Worried about people sitting in the sun at the cellar door we completed a large, undercover seating area; the hay-shed to the south of the cellar door
- 2016 With some timber left over from a project that didn’t go ahead and the materials from an old wooden hay-shed we built the chapel
- 2016 We re-designed our labels and won three international design awards
- 2017 CEO, Sarah Collingwood, was selected to be a part of the wine industry’s Future Leaders program.
- 2017 CEO, Sarah Collingwood, named Australian Women in Wine Owner/Operator of the year
- 2018 we made our first Sparkling Riesling
- 2019 Four Winds Vineyard was named the Yass Valley Business Chamber excellence in business winner.
- 2019 Kyeema Estate joined the Four Winds Vineyard Group and we released the first Kyeema wines under the Four Winds Vineyard label
- 2020 The bushfires throughout December and January caused smoke taint throughout the vineyard and we were not able to harvest any grapes in 2020 for wine.
- 2020 We teamed up with The Canberra Distillery and released a Riesling gin with the grapes that we were not able to use for wine.
- 2020 The Covid-19 pandemic restrictions saw us operating with take-away wine and pizza before being able to return to almost normal trading
The ‘Four Winds’ Story
The Four Winds Story began with a miner and his wife who lived on the property in a slab-hut. Her name was Scheherazade, after the story telling character in The Arabian Nights. Her favourite story described a magic carpet being borne by the four winds of good fortune. She named this small farm in Murrumbateman ‘Four Winds’ in the hope it would carry their good fortunes.
We are located to the north of Canberra just east of Murrumbateman, on the corner of Murrumbateman Road and Patemans Lane. We planted our thirty-three acre vineyard in 1998 and 1999 with five varieties; Shiraz, Riesling, Cabernet, Merlot and Sangiovese.
You can come and visit us and see what we are all about. Alternatively; if a visit isn’t possible, sign up to our newsletter to get all the latest updates from the team. The newsletter will also tell you about our events; winemaker dinners, blending seminars, harvest festival etc.
We ship our wine Australia-wide and we are always ready to help. Email us at email@example.com.
Sign up for our Newsletter
Sign up to get the latest on sales,
new releases and more …